All motor vehicles registered in the state of Maryland must meet the legal minimum requirements for insurance.
If you let your coverage lapse, or drive without insurance, you will face penalties:
- Loss of plates and registration privilege
- Uninsured motorist penalty fee of $150 for the first month and $7 each day afterward, for each lapse.
- Will be prohibited from registering any vehicle until insurance violation is cleared.
- Restoration fee of $25 for registration privilege.
- Confiscation of license plates once registration suspension is in effect.
- Any additional fines imposed by the courts.
You don’t have to face these penalties. MAIF can help.